Monday, January 12, 2009

#4 Reason Why I Hate Film School....I am not a director!

I'm a producer and in film school they teach you to be a director. You can't teach talent and so much time is spent on making everyone a director. They don't help you find out what you are good at and cultivate it as a one on one mentor/apprentice relationship does. If they spent more time in specializing students, students would have a better chance of getting a job in their specialty. Why should I take advanced directing classes when I have no interest in directing at all?It's a waste of time and energy when you are learning something you don't have any passion for! 

2 comments:

  1. Let's all come together on one thing...A school is a money-making business protected by tax shelters. Let's be real. Many majors don't actually correspond to paying jobs. It is simply an education. They are not promising that the skills will actually be useful or lucrative. In fact schools do not mind flooding career fields with tons of grads when the jobs are not there. Those who cannot do, teach. That is why we have professors teaching us film making when they know darn well nobody in the class is ever going to succeed in the field. Unfortunately, many of us did not have college grad parents to steer us away from bad majors AKA bad investments. Please consider your useless degree a bad investment and admit you got robbed. I have a fine art degree specializing in Ceramics. Pottery, however, is obsolete due to the invention of Tupperware. Only famous potters and a few artists make it big. Everybody else is selling their pottery on craft fair tables on the weekends while they work a real job. Just keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--one other comment from me again. I just posted. I am www.ventilateyourcircumstances.blogspot.com and I just wanted to say do not under any circumstances buy a degree in psychology or social work either. It is a big time waste of money. You will never see the money back. You will waste years and years working free practica and intern positions. Look at me. I have worked for years and I still don't have all my Social Security credits because the free training positions I worked did not pay zip. All the good counseling jobs are taken by free dumbass students in training--just like I used to be. Now I am 36 and trained in a field I cannot respect.

    ReplyDelete