Friday, October 23, 2009

# 10 Reason I Hate Film School . . . I Spend So Much Time in a Classroom!

I know that film-making is not just about lifting a camera and making sure the record button was pressed On, though that is still very important. But I don't think that Steven Spielberg won all those Oscars because he spent all his time in classrooms, trying to stay awake along with his classmates, copying information written in a blackboard that's already in a book.

To be better, even the best, at this, we need to be out there and experience it ourselves. There's only so much we can do inside the four walls of a classroom, watching films and trying to figure out what makes it the best. I mean, of course I love watching films and finding out what makes them tick. True, it's my favorite thing with studying film, but I'm studying to make films, not just watch them.

And in a classroom, there's just too many of us in a room. I think it would be better if I was being taught by someone who wouldn't be distracted by too many people vying for his attention, trying to get them to answer their question. Knowing that the person teaching me has less distraction to deal with makes me more confident in our lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment